the 2.18 endgame

Hey,

with Guadec almost behind us, it is time to think about closing out
the 2.18 cycle. Earlier plans were to have GTK+ 2.18 and a parallel
2.90 around Guadec 2009, ie now. Obviously, we will not quite make
that.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about GTK+-related events at
Guadec yet, so my proposal may not quite be in line with what was
discussed there. Please let me know if thats the case...

Current status, looking just at the big-ticket items:

GLib 2.22:
 - Gnio has been merged
 - We did not get to merge gdbus or gvariant. At this point, those
will have to wait for the next cycle, I think.

GTK+ 2.18:
 - SexyUrlLabel functionality has been integrated
 - GtkInfoBar has been added
 - CSW branch has been merged
 - Extended geometry management did not land. I've spent a few days on
updating and reviewing those patches, but did not hear back from tbf
 - Flippable widgets are still abstract. There was no progress on
resolving the defaults issues
 - Client-side decorations are currently being worked on in the
client-side-decorations branch

GTK+ 2.90:
 - Outstanding GSEAL issues have not been resolved. bratsche spent
some time on it,  but gave up for lack of feedback

Here is my proposal:
- Consider the current GLib api final (modulo minor tweaks)
- Push gdbus, gvariant, extended geometry management to the next cycle
- Focus on fixing CSW regressions and making CSW work on win32, doing
weekly releases from now on. Alex will be on vacation for a while,
unfortunately.
- If client-side decorations are ready in the next week or two, we may
merge that
- Do weekly devel snapshots from now on, to track CSW regression fixes
- Do the final 2.18 release when CSW regressions are under control,
but no later than Gnome 2.28, obviously (which gives us a hard
deadline of September 21)
- If people still want to do a 2.90 release in parallel with 2.18, now
is the time to step forward and finish the GSEAL work

Comments ?

Matthias