Re: Thoughts on GTK+ and CSS

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Tristan Van Berkom<tvb gnome org> wrote:

[...]

> An example of the backwardness we have in place, is that,
> IMO its simply wrong to assume the role of a GtkToolbar in a
> given application, the toolbar already needs properties to override
> theme settings in cases where its not in context. Another example
> would be that you simply cant write a custom toolbar implementation
> and inherit the theme of a toolbar unless you actually subclass the
> GtkToolbar.

This is a good point. The most natural mapping to CSS would probably
be using a set of CSS classes [1] defined by gtk.

> Then GTK+ could have a list of stock styles:
>
> #define GTK_STOCK_STYLE_MAIN_TOOLBAR      "gtk-stock-style-main-toolbar"

Agreed (whatever the actual name). The theming would then go like

GtkToolbar { ... } /* Common theming for all toolbars */
GtkToolbar.gtk-stock-style-main-toolbar { ... } /* Additional theming
for "main" toolbar. */

> #define GTK_STOCK_STYLE_SMALL_BORDER      "gtk-stock-style-small-border"
> #define GTK_STOCK_STYLE_LARGE_BORDER      "gtk-stock-style-large-border"

Not sure what those would be for.

> #define GTK_STOCK_STYLE_FIRST_ITEM        "gtk-stock-style-first-item"
> #define GTK_STOCK_STYLE_LAST_ITEM         "gtk-stock-style-last-item"

Might not be needed since CSS defines positional pseudo classes
already [2]. We should be able to get the child position from the
GtkContainer, also see the related messages in this thread.

[...]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#class-html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#pseudo-class-selectors

- Rob