Re: GtkOrientable and GtkBox

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
[...]
> In general though, GtkOrientable already exists. People are bound to use
> it.

An example use case of this would be a custom toolbar that could be
placed optionally on top or on the side of the workspace where the tool
ordering is relevant, but thats not really the point right, aren't we more after
making sure the use cases we haven't thought of yet are still valid ? ;-)

I think a more interesting question is, what are we going to do with
GtkVBox and GtkHBox, just keep them around for api stability ?

Have them subclass GtkBox and override the "orientation" property
to mark it as G_PARAM_READABLE only ?

If we were to add a GtkBox:reverse-order property, would it still
play fair in GtkBox subclasses ? hmmm I think so.

Another worry is that pack start/pack end properties can already
be confusing, will adding a reverse-order property make things more
or less confusing to the user ?

Just some thoughts, personally I think if start/end pack properties
dont cut it then its probably worth just a little switch in GtkBox
(sounds like more fun than manually repopulating boxes at runtime).

Cheers,
               -Tristan