Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

2009/3/2 Havoc Pennington <havoc pennington gmail com>
Anyway, I think there is no difference between method calls and
message passing. The only difference is in whether the client side API
is made to look just like a native object. But that's totally
orthogonal to the IDL and to the wire protocol.

To quote yourself: "This is perhaps a misunderstanding". Or at least a provocative statement :-)

For instance Steve Vinoski (one of the RPC/distributed systems grand old men) has a lot of blog posts devoted to the subject of RPC vs message passing. A good starting point is PDF paper linked here: http://steve.vinoski.net/blog/2008/07/01/convenience-over-correctness/

I think you can put an RPC style API on top of an IDL based on message passing, but putting a message passing API on top of an RPC style IDL might not be a good idea (depending on the IDL in question of course as well as the nature of the actual remote transport mechanism).

--
Cheers,
Mikkel