Features desired in a password entry Was: GtkEntry memory vtable

Sven Neumann wrote:
> I definitely think so. GtkEntry is getting more and more complex
> recently and it seems like a bad idea to use such complex code for
> sensitive stuff like a password entry. IMO it would make sense to create
> a dedicated widget for this. Perhaps it is possible to share a common
> base class, but we should try to keep all the complex stuff that is not
> needed in a password entry out of it.
>
> So perhaps as a start, try to make a list of the features that are
> needed, or might be useful, in a password entry?

I imagine these might look like:

Stuff GtkEntry already has:

 - Put up substitute character for each UTF-8 char.
 - Property to disable copying, and dragging of password. [1]
 - Warning when caps lock.
 - Option to suppress echo altogether.
 - Implements GtkEditable interface
 - No accidental overwrite mode (ie: always insert).

Some additional features:

 - Ability to use custom memory allocator for text.
 - Minimum text length with visible cues [2]
 - Maximum text length with visible cues [3]

There's probably more, but that might be a good start.

Cheers,

Stef

[1] Always disabled when 'invisible'

[2] Could be a line of gray dots which are filled in with
    invisible_char (bullets) when typed.

[3] With the bullets it's impossible to see whether what you're
    typing is actually being entered into GtkEntry or discarded
    due to max length. Well it beeps, but often sound isn't turned on.