Re: fsync in glib/gio

On 03/13/2009 09:15 AM, Morten Welinder wrote:
I think I am in line with what Michael is saying here: there is a
non-trivial risk that littering fsync all over the place will badly
affect existing systems.

The ext4 attitude is interesting, btw.  They are saying that
"POSIX allows this behaviour so it's your problem".  But when
the gcc people say "The C standard allows this or that", then
the kernel people question the sanity of gcc developers several
generations back.

F*** "POSIX allows this"!  A program that does open-write-close-
rename should not be left with an empty file in case something
goes wrong.  The old file, or the new file.  Anything else is insane
and by extension the kernel developers and their ancestors.

Very well said.

Great way to start a Friday :).  Keep it coming guys!

Cheers,

behdad

The world is full of crappy hardware, drivers, electricity suppliers,
cable-pulling clumsy people, etc.  They are all out to get you,
so there is no reason why the kernel should hand them your
data too.

Morten