Re: Moving GLib and GTK+ to git

> Commit messages: Here are some recommendations that I think meet our needs:

It would be nice to have hooks to enforce this in the master repo at
git.gnome.org. Thoughts?

> Working with branches:
> As Kristian explained to me, there are two basic approaches to
> handling bug fixes in git branches. Either commit the fix on the devel
> branch and cherry-pick it to the stable branch, or commit the fix to
> the stable branch and merge the whole stable branch to the devel
> branch periodically. While both approaches should work, the second one
> has the advantage of keeping more information about the availability
> of the fix in the git topology.
>
> Anyway, we don't have to create a 2.16 branch today, we can take a few
> days to feel our way into working with git before getting serious
> about major feature merges.

Do we want to recommend that contributors

 1. submit patches to bugzilla (like we've done up until now)

 2. publish a git repo with their changes

Surely we would need to handle both, but it's my experience that it is
much easier for maintainers to work with 2. Especially for more
complicated features that include a series of patches.

So maybe we want to actually recommend workflow 2 to contributors. Maybe
even add some bugzilla-bling-integration, I don't know.

     David