Re: Native file chooser dialog on Windows

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Cody Russell wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 22:46 -0400, David Cantin wrote:
> > is there a plan or any activities regarding using the native file
> > chooser on the Windows platform ? Like the print dialog does.
>
> My feeling is that for such dialogs we should perhaps implement a dialog
> that looks like the native one (widget/layout-wise), but using gtk+
> widgets rather than using the actual native Win32 dialog...

IMO this is now pretty much of a non-issue, since the current GTK
file selection dialog is sufficiently like Windows (but nicer!).

The old GTK file selector was very foreign to Windows users, and
in the win32 version of my GTK app I used the native win32
selector.  But I recently decided to scrap that code as redundant.
Consistency with the "host" desktop is good in itself, but
consistency of look and feel within the application is also
desirable, and switching from GTK to native Windows widgets can be
jarring.

Allin Cottrell