Re: GIO will link with -pthread soon

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 00:27 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > libdbus links against libpthread.
>
> My only question  is: can't this be fixed instead?  I don't immediately see
> why not..

dbus has a threading abstraction layer just like glib does.  The
difference between dbus and glib is that dbus puts its
POSIX-threads-based implementation right into its main .so file (whereas
glib separates it out into the gthread library).

This pretty much means that libdbus has to be linked against the
threading library.

The alternative would be to create a separate dbus "POSIX threads
implementation" library and require people who want to use POSIX threads
with dbus to link that library in separately.  I think this is a fairly
drastic break of the libdbus API, so I doubt we can do that.

Cheers