Re: Are Out-of-Tree Widgets Second-Class Citizens?

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 15:12 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> This is a consequence of the halfway G_SEALing that was done.  Insofar
> G_SEAL
> is a good idea, it should apply to GTK+ itself, i.e., GtkLabel has no
> business
> messing with the internals of GtkWidget, although obviously it should
> have access
> to its own internals.  (Doing so would also send some of the
> conversion pain
> back to people who inflict it on others.  That might discourage the
> habit of
> breaking APIs and ABIs without good reason.)

This is part of the plan for 3.0.  I think the original idea was that
2.18 or 2.90 would GSEAL everything, and 3.0 would actually remove those
struct members.  This obviously means that it won't have access to those
members anymore and it will have to use either the public APIs or the
members of private structs.