Re: glib on OS X 10.6

On Oct 4, 2009, at 10:46 AM, John Ralls wrote:

On Oct 3, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Kevin Krieser wrote:

I am attempting to build GTK+ on the Mac, and I'm getting the following error while compiling GLIB:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"GLib\" - DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGLIB_COMPILATION - DPCRE_STATIC -DG_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/ gtk/include -msse2 -funroll-loops -fstrict-aliasing -finline- functions -Wall -MT gunicollate.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/ gunicollate.Tpo -c gunicollate.c -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/ gunicollate.o In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CoreFoundation.h:43, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/ CarbonCore.h:20, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:21,
               from gunicollate.c:30:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/ CFBundle.h:147: error: format string argument not a string type
make[4]: *** [gunicollate.lo] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

The versions I am using are:
glib-2.18.2
libpng-1.2.40
zlib-1.2.3
pkg-config-0.20
gettext-0.17
expat-2.0.1
gcc 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009
and I'm targeting x86_64

This is all in an attempt to compile GtkAda, which is why I'm targeting this version of GTK.

Any ideas?

Apple Snow Leopard issue?

First time GLIB builder issue?

Something fixed in later versions of GLIB?

Hello Kevin,

Interesting. That particular issue isn't one that's been reported by folks building x86_64 on GTK-OSX (we have a forum for Snow Leopard issues at http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/gtk-osx/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19 ), which leads me to suspect that the compiler isn't sufficiently Apple-savvy. What happens if you try to build everything with the apple-provided gcc-4.2?

The macro which is the source of the error is new to Snow Leopard, but CoreServices does support x86_64 and is very central to OSX, so it's unlikely to be an Apple bug. That particular file (gunicollate.c) hasn't changed since 2.18, so that isn't the problem, and besides, the error is occurring just from simply including CoreServices, so it can hardly be a glib problem.

It might also be that in spite of reports to the contrary that the Apple-provided libtool is still buggy. GTK-OSX builds a full set of autotools to work around problems with the Apple-provided ones in previous versions.

One other heads-up: You'll need to build a libiconv. The one provided by Apple doesn't support x86_64 for some reason.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try with the Apple GCC.

I was attempting to follow instructions I found online from someone who had compiled for i686, which would explain why he didn't include the libiconv.

A google search on the error had shown someone on a netbsd list posting the same error on 10.6. But with no information on what compiler or options he was using.

Thanks,
Kevin