Re: error building git head GTK on OS X ... IM symbols missing etc.

On Oct 26, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

just tried a jhbuild of gtk on OS X (tiger). things went well until it
got to the link stage in the input methods code. i got a large number
of messages of this form, one for each (every?) IM module:

Cannot load module
/Users/paul/gtk/source/gtk+/modules/input/im-am-et.la:
dlopen(/Users/paul/gtk/source/gtk+/modules/input/.libs/im-am-et.so,
10): Symbol not found: _res_9_init
 Referenced from: /Users/paul/gtk/inst/lib/libgio-2.0.0.dylib
 Expected in: flat namespace

does anybody have any clues what this might be? the missing symbol is
always _res_9_init

Found it, after a bit of searching. It's defined in /usr/include/ resolv.h, included from gio/gionetworkingprivate.h

It doesn't show up in my SL build from today. I can't see from configure why it would pick it up for your build but not for mine. Search for lresolv in configure and config.log; maybe you can see why it's getting picked up on yours.

Regards,
John Ralls