Re: libeggdbus v. libdbus-glib

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 15:04 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, EggDBus only uses the mainloop integration from dbus-glib. Yes,
> > there's a reason for why this is so. Yes, the explanation is in the
> > archives.
>
> Can we stick just the mainloop integration in Gio?  I'd be happy to
> change dbus-glib to use that; how exactly it should work is an open
> question; we could have #define GIO_USE_UNSTABLE_API or require people
> to dlsym().  Other ideas welcome.

I'd rather do it the same way we have gio-unix-2.0. E.g.

 - provide a gio-libdbus1-2.0.pc file
 - put headers in /usr/include/dbus-1.0/gio-libdbus1-2.0/gio/*

with GIO_LIBDBUS1_USE_UNSTABLE_API guards so we have an upgrade path to
libdbus-2.0 or something else.

I also think we should be a bit more ambitious than just providing
mainloop integration. Things like

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~david/gdbus-standalone/tree/gdbus/example-own-name.c
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~david/gdbus-standalone/tree/gdbus/example-watch-name.c
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~david/gdbus-standalone/tree/gdbus/example-watch-proxy.c

is really hard to get right with libdbus. In fact, most people get it
wrong.

I guess I should just finish the gdbus-standalone stuff and then we can
either put it into libgio (for 2.30) or I can release it under another
prefix and get on with my life...

     David