Re: Speeding up thumbnail generation (like multi threaded). Thoughts please.

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 16:05 +0200, Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Philip Van Hoof <spam pvanhoof be> wrote:

> sounds interesting.
> A few questions for that lib:
> - Where can it be downloaded (i only found the documentation of it)

The websites Alexander pointed to in his reply have pointers to source
code. I don't think it has an upstream repository anymore, just source
packages of distributions.

> - Can it be used on it's own without a need of including other
> dependencies other then libjpeg?

Yes

> - Are there any benchmarks existing? preferably compared to GdkPixbuff

Problem with the benchmarks that I used is that they are proprietary.

But you get most difference with large JPEG images. So take any large
JPEG image and test it. The code to write an EPeg based thumbnailer is
about 12 lines.

The hildon-thumbnailer code got a bit messy and we have started redoing
this together with the XFCE people as the Tumbler project, but you can
find Fremantle's EPeg based thumbnailer plugin here:

http://gitorious.org/maemo-af/hildon-thumbnail/blobs/master/daemon/plugins/epeg-plugin.c

> and beating it by 5 times is unlikely. My threaded test took ~30
> seconds that would mean with epeg it can take just 6 seconds.. i just
> doubt that's possible for my 1927 image test.

Nod, that's the kind of differences that we measured ;)

Which is also why we didn't hesitate to just switch to using it.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be