Re: gtk_widget_draw()

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 07:56 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> its quite amusing to me how what is being described is slowly
> converging on something extremely close to a canvas model in many of
> its most fundamental aspects. am i the only one seeing this? does it
> matter?

In my mind a canvas does two things:

1. Retained drawing.  You draw something and you get a handle back to it
so that you can modify it (move it, recolor it, etc.).  GDK doesn't do
retained drawing; it does direct drawing where you draw something but
you have no way to modify it afterwards.

2. Hit detection.  You get events relative to the objects that you drew.
This is a lot more sophisticated than "something happened inside this
rectangular window" :)

  Federico