Re: gtk_widget_draw()

On 08/26/10 16:13, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 12:35 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> Just keep in mind that it's very normal for text ink to leak out of the
>> allocation area.  So even if the draw-border property is removed, we should
>> eventually figure out how to handles these.
>
> But widgets are supposed to request a size that will fit their ink_rect,
> correct?

Not really.  If all text allocations fully included their ink, you'd get very
weird spacing.  Think of fancy fonts, swashes, underlines, etc.

Just a quick example: your menus typically take height of one line of text.
But if you have a mnemonic underline under 'p' or 'q' or 'g', that would take
two pixels more than your normal line of text has for decent.  Now, you can
add two pixels worth of padding to your normal line of text height, but that
looks weird and badly spaced.