Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2010-12-14

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:
> I looked on gailtreeview code, and it is used gtk_tree_view_set_cursor
> with "start_editing=TRUE" in one case. In the method cell_edit.
>
> The ATK framework allows to define some actions in order to control
> the accessibility objects. In this case it is possible to add actions
> for the cells of the tree view. If it is a text cell renderer
> editable, the action "edit" is added, described as "creates a widget in which
> the contents of the cell can be edited".
>
> Anyway this description is somewhat misleading. cell_edit basically
> finds the cell, and use gtk_tree_view_set_cursor to give the keyboard
> focus. And I guess that sets start_editing as TRUE in order to start
> to edit this cell.

That makes sense, so that function sets the cursor on the given cell
and starts the edit operation, like you would expect from the name
cell_edit().

> So, after this change on start_editing, will this method work
> properly? Could someone still using this action to start to edit on a
> cell, and then just start to write on this cell?

Yes, nothing has changed for editable cells, such as the text renderer
or combo box renderer.  Only activatable cells, which are usually
modified with a mouse click or a press on a single keyboard key (and
do not allow input of free-form text), are affected.  Then again, it
is highly unlikely that anybody was using gtk_tree_view_set_cursor()
with start_editing=TRUE to toggle the state of for example a toggle
cell renderer.

> If this is the case, as Murray Cummings asked, what it is the purpose
> of start_editing? It is now a superfluous parameter?

The purpose of the start_editing argument is to indicate whether
GtkTreeView should attempt to start editing the cell that is being
focused.  Previously, it would also attempt to "activate" an
activatable cell renderer, which is now no longer the case. The
parameter is not superfluous.

regards,

-kris.