Re: Gobject-Introspection and CMPH

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
>
>> But since you bring it up, what is the "official" policy? Is it C89? Is it published somewhere?
>
> For GTK+, we're generally avoiding C++ comments, since they cause
> problems for the compilers that are used on win32. What other non-C89
> features do you have in mind ?

But they *are* used in gtk3 right now...

> Nested functions are not really worth discussing, thats just a
> historical accident on the part of the gcc team...

I totally agree with this.

But the point is, if something's not tested, it's basically guaranteed
to break (like srcdir != builddir, etc).  gcc defaults to enabling GNU
features, and the buildbots don't specify -std=c89, so there is
absolutely zero testing coverage.

If we want this to work, we need to add stuff to configure.ac in
modules to, if gcc is detected, add -std=c89.  Or we tell people to
use gnu89, and other compilers have to implement the GNU C subset we
make up (which is apparently C++ comments OK, nested functions not OK,
etc).