On adding an extension point to GFileInfo

I wrote an email to this list in December about this subject, without response, so I thought I'd try again and see if anyone bites.

I'd like to add an extension point to GFileInfo so that modules can watch new files as they are created.  My real goal is to create a GIO module that acts as a version control daemon, doing VCS lookups on files and then applying attributes to the files, or possibly setting emblems depending on what the current VCS status is.  The application accessing the GFileInfos can apply emblems based on the status attributes. Yes, nautilus already has functionality for adding emblems from extensions, but Thunar doesn't have such functionality (and won't add it, I've tried).

I'd like to know the maintainers' thoughts on this and how best to attack the problem.  I'm happy to mull it over a bit to make sure we get this right.

Adam