Re: GtkApplication

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> So, I've been dragging my feet a little bit on getting
> GApplication/GtkApplication merged.

Thanks a lot for the work on looking at it!

> One thing that I've proposed to Colin to make this at least somewhat
> less ugly is to move most of the 'special-sauce' constructor work into
> a separate api, like
>
> g_application_register (GApplication    *app,
>                                  gint                 *argc,
>                                  gchar           ***argv,
>                                  GVariant          *platform_data)

I'm sad about this but it looks like the least bad option.  I'm on it.

> 2) There is no session management at all, currently. We can _probably_ add it
> at a later point,

I think so, yes, but I have no objections to someone looking at this further.

> 3)   /* TODO look up .desktop file on freedesktop platform, initialize
> title etc. */
>
> We should get this done to make the get_window() have some tangible benefit.
> Of course, we don't want to read all desktop files just to find the
> right one. Until we have a better solution, what Colin and I have
> discussed is to have the launching app (who most likely already has
> the desktop file in hands) put the path of the desktop file into an
> environment.

Just thought - if we include the target pid in the environment
variable, and ignore it if it doesn't match our own, I think we'll be
fairly reliable here.