Re: GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Christian Hergert <chris dronelabs com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Filippo Argiolas wrote:
>> http://people.gnome.org/~fargiolas/toggle-button-mockup.png
>
> I don't want to detract from your conversation, but in case you haven't
> written up code for that toggle button mockup, I wrote one last year (in
> python, c, and c#).
>
> http://audidude.com/?p=61
> http://github.com/chergert/custom-gtk-widgets/tree/master/gtkmodebutton

Hi Christian, thanks for the links. I didn't write any code yet
because I'm still looking for the proper way to do it and I'd like to
use something integrated in gtk+ since the beginning.
About your widget, I looked into it some time ago.
I think it is basically an hack, a neat and sexy hack, don't get me
wrong, but still an hack. Particularly, it doesn't handle focus nor
keyboard navigation and the selected button doesn't look depressed as
buttons usually do but is shaded with the "selected" color.
Furthermore it breaks with some theme.
I could try to implement all of those things using your widget as a
base but I don't really think that would be the best way.
We already have buttons that work fine, we just need a way to group
them and tell the engine to style it properly. We have widgets that
work like that, GtkComboBoxEntry e.g. uses a simple button for the
drop down arrow button and it's the theme engine that styles it
properly to have a straight edge where it connects with the entry.

Cheers,
Filippo