Re: Faster UTF-8 decoding in GLib

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 14:09 -0400 schrieb Behdad Esfahbod:

> That's one of the worst ideas as far as software goes.  If an operation takes
> 1% of your application time and you make it 1000 times faster, you know how
> much total faster your application would run? 1.01x faster...

Yes, but if it is thousand applications all running 1% faster due to a
single change in a shared library, it becomes a different picture. :-)

> That developer time can be put somewhere more useful instead....  Like
> optimizing something that is taking 20% time, or 50%, or 70%.

But what if the solution is already there because some crazy hackers
held a competition to find the fastest algorithm?  And you are presented
with it on a silver platter?

Seriously, there is a risk of bike-shedding perfectly good contributions
if one takes the economics argument too far.  I'd just wait and see how
it plays out, and if something fruitful comes out of the discussion at
the end, just take it.

--Daniel