Re: Minutes of the gtk+ team IRC meeting - 2010-05-25

Hi,

I am not really able anymore to attend the meetings regularly; however I hope I might be so free to share some comments here:

On May 26, 2010, at 12:08 AM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> - the main concern is a win32/quartz implementation; even a prototype one would
>  be a good start

Unfortunately, I will not have the time to work on a quartz prototype myself.  I have my hands full already with keeping the quartz backend going (planning to put some time into patch review again soon), so I hope somebody else will be able to pick up the GApplication hacking.

> - GtkRuler (used by dia, claws, possibly xsane; gimp has a fork)

Is this really only used by dia and claws, or also some more applications?  In contrast to GtkHSV, GtkGamma, etc., I can actually imagine that GtkRuler has some proper use cases in a variety of applications ;)

> - GtkTearoffMenuItem (used by a vocal minority, complicates GtkMenu code)

I have mixed feelings on this one, and I think it is important to make an informed decision on this and not to rush it, because when it has been removed, it is really gone.

The only real use case I have known for tear off menus is to accelerate access to the menu items, which can be done faster through keyboard shortcuts and can be done in a better/more modern way through a toolbar or some kind of configurable "options dock". Is there any other use case I am missing here?

regards,

-kris.