Re: Replacing gdk_display_open(char*)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
>> * BTW, are there any plans to add multihead on other platforms?
>
> Not for Windows, at least. I am not even sure what multihead would
> mean on Windows. Note that I am not talking about  mutiple monitors in
> a user session's Windows desktop; that works mostly fine in GTK+ since
> a long time.

The situation is broadly similar on OS X. Multiple monitors work, but
the concepts exposed by Quartz don't really map sensibly into the X
model, at least not fully. GdkScreen does vaguely correspond to
NSScreen, but for example, see these notes from the top of the
GdkScreen implementation for Quartz:

/* A couple of notes about this file are in order.  In GDK, a
 * GdkScreen can contain multiple monitors.  A GdkScreen has an
 * associated root window, in which the monitors are placed.  The
 * root window "spans" all monitors.  The origin is at the top-left
 * corner of the root window.
 *
 * Cocoa works differently.  The system has a "screen" (NSScreen) for
 * each monitor that is connected (note the conflicting definitions
 * of screen).  The screen containing the menu bar is screen 0 and the
 * bottom-left corner of this screen is the origin of the "monitor
 * coordinate space".  All other screens are positioned according to this
 * origin.  If the menu bar is on a secondary screen (for example on
 * a monitor hooked up to a laptop), then this screen is screen 0 and
 * other monitors will be positioned according to the "secondary screen".
 * The main screen is the monitor that shows the window that is currently
 * active (has focus), the position of the menu bar does not have influence
 * on this!