Re: Doubts about GPeriodic

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> I guess the basic question here is whether "most stuff" is updating the
> text of a label or whether most stuff is adding 10000 elements to a
> GtkTreeView. If most things that applications are doing in response to
> timeouts/IO completions/IPC are cheap and take almost no time, then we
> gain compression and efficiency by doing them before painting and we can
> ask the applications to code specially for the rest.

This is why I suggested a cooperative thread system at one
point. Callbacks that would add 10,000 elements to a tree view could
simply call yield() in between each item. Then the main loop could
prevent it from running again if it wanted to start painting.

There are some potentially nasty reentrancy issues though, and of
course it would require a bit of assembly for each platform it would
run on.

Soren