Re: pixbuf<->cairo_surface_t conversion

2010/9/3 Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org>:
> Hello there,
>
> at college, we used get_pixels for concurrency assignments where we
> used Ada. (Histogram analysis, shape detection and whatnot)
>
> The problem I see with removing this is that you actually need to make
> a roundtrip from the GDK API to cairo_get_surface -> cairo_get_data
> which would not be a very obvious step from the API user point of
> view.

The description in
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk-pixbuf/unstable/gdk-pixbuf-gdk-pixbuf.html
(which seems currently a bit sparse ;) could specifically explain this
use-case, so I don't think it would be too far-fetched. OTOH, you
could always add gdk_pixbuf_get_data() which would amount to
cairo_image_surface_get_data(gdk_pixbuf_get_surface(p))...

> If we are trying to keep things cairo internally, can't we just leave
> get_pixels as a wrapper around cairo's get_surface/get_data if that's
> how people are going to have to use it anyway?

...but not replace get_pixels() due to the incompatible storing formats.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi