Re: magic expand flag on GtkWidget

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> In particular the automatic window resizability will be nice.

Unfortunately this part is scary ;-) a whole lot of the gtkwindow.c
code related to this was last touched by me in 2001, some was last
touched even earlier than that, and I remember having to revise my
rewrite of this code many many times to handle all the corner cases.
But maybe this feature is relatively superficial and won't interact
with the scary stuff, right? ...

But yeah, this is kind of the cool part. At the same time we can fix
gtkwindow to take advantage of natural size to set default size, and I
think in order to do that, we need to constrain the default size to
the monitor work area.

> I do foresee some complications in the expand-propagation for more
> complicated containers, though:
>
> - Just because a tab label expands, the notebook should probably not.
>
> - a table/grid can only expand vertically if it has an entire row of
> vertically expanding children (I think ?)

Right. I think the containers should be able to fix this stuff in
their compute_expand.

Also, for similar cases an app may have, they can set an explicit
expand=FALSE on a container and expansion will not propagate upward
any further.

Havoc