Re: rendering-cleanup-next

On Sep 12, 2010, at 2:05 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com> wrote:
>

>> Does GDK have enough information to know when to set background to None?
>> The patch
>> d3802ca Remove calls that try to set GDK_NO_BG
>>
>> basically removes hints to GDK that the background should not be
>> repainted by the OS. I don't know how GDK would know this.
>>
>> I don't know exactly what the API should be. Maybe set_hint_no_clear()
>> or set_autopaint() or whatever it is. The main thing is, I think pre-
>> this patch, things probably did not flicker as much, and post- this
>> patch, they are probably flickery and uglier. So that's a user-visible
>> regression. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me to regress
>> that.
>>
>> The API for this may be something that's a no-op on Windows and/or
>> Mac, I don't know.
>
> Could also  make it a gdk_x11 api.
> But maybe a hint that is a no-op on other backends is better.

I'm in favor of keeping platform-specific stuff in platform-specific files and directories, but that's in large part just because I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to code organization.

If instead you expose it on all platforms, please do include the stubs for win32 and quartz so that they will at least continue to build and mention here the new function name(s) -- or file bugs against win32 and quartz saying that function foo is stubbed out.

Aside: Could we have a recommendation in http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/BestPractices about adding functions with stubs and how best to alert the platform devs somehow other than breaking the build? (I rather like the bug report approach; it's too easy to miss something in a thread here, especially if it's long and very technical like this one.) Yes, I could just add it, but I'd like a bit of discussion first.

Regards,
John Ralls