Re: Resource framework, relocatability (was Re: Glib: a Win32 discussion)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

> The same thing happens for the other types of files i mentioned above.
> dbus looks only for service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/services, gtk
> looks for themes in /usr/lib64/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/theming-engines, etc, etc.
> So, anything that has a file of this type is "hard" to relocate.

no, GTK can use GTK_PATH for this.

> Also, apps that consume such files are also hard to relocate. Take
> nautilus for instance, it looks for extensions
> in /usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-3.0/, but if you relocate it, how does
> extensions know where to install extensions?

something like:

    nautilus --extension-directory

would work just fine, no?

although the example is not really that similar, this is how we allow
JACK clients to find out where the server can be contacted, via jackd
--tmpdir

doesn't seem so hard, does it?