Re: Dropping DirectFB backend from GTK 3

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 04:25:42PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> > I want to use the DirectFB with GTK+3.0 using Glade 3.10.
>
> the pre-condition for having DFB support in gtk+ 3.x, as laid out by the
> gtk+ team, is to have at least one active maintainer to avoid repeating
> the past experience of 2.x.

I’ve been wondering for a while now: would it be possible to create an
SDL backend for use on devices lacking an X server?

I lack deep understanding of how GTK+ works, but I believe GTK+ 3 uses
Cairo for most if not all of its drawing needs, and Cairo already works
fine on SDL. The missing parts, if I understand it correctly, would be
the ones related to window handling, copy&paste, and stuff like that.

Please correct me if anything I said is wrong.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>