Re: GLib plans for next cycle

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> wrote:
>> >  - glib_get_worker_context()
>>
>> s/glib/g/ ? glib_* sounds like it's for glib-internal-only use, which I
>> don't see any reason for. It's definitely useful outside of glib.
>
> My original intention is that it *would* be glib-private (like
> glib_gettext() for example).  It's true that other libraries could find
> it useful, though -- dconf would certainly put itself on this list.  I'm
> just slightly worried about this thread becoming contaminated (think:
> mainloop blocking) through use by poorly written libraries.

That's my concern too. In fact, for reasons like this, I'm not happy
about on having GDBus use it unless someone can demonstrate
significant savings - and, honestly, in these days where the CPUs
worth targeting with GLib are all multi-core, putting all of our crap
in a single worker thread is probably a performance hit (but I doubt
it's measurable).

    David