Re: GMenuModel has landed

On Sun, 2011-12-11 at 18:24 -0800, Matthew Brush wrote:
> My (probably misguided) opinion is that if this type of stuff can't go
> into GTK+ for some reason, there should be a `glib-ui` or `glib-gnome`
> library or something like this.  I have doubts how many apps linking to
> GIO without GTK+ are going to need such a model, either because they
> don't have a UI at all or are using some other toolkit which likely
> provides a mechanism of its own for this.

We had this conversation in context of GSettings, a few years ago.  It
wasn't really IO, so why should it go in GIO?  We threw around the idea
of libgplatform or libdesktop and so on and decided that we should just
treat libgio as this.  That's when we started (only half-jokingly)
insisting that GIO stands for "GLib Interfaces and Objects".

I have a long-held belief that the "model" side of things that are not
directly related to widgets should be kept outside of the toolkit.  I'd
support, for example, a GtkTreeModel replacement to be merged into
libgio.

Meanwhile, from an intensely practical standpoint, GMenuModel is already
in use by at least 3 separate toolkits: Gtk+, Qt and the GNOME Shell.

Cheers