Re: GtkApplication and argc/arv

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 08:58 +0100, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:

> > Just to point out  an example, Evince does not use GtkApplication
> > and it's not single instanced (there is one process per each
> > document you see) and I don't think there are plans to make it
> > single instanced.
>
> Note that we moved from single process model to multiple process
> without changing the evince behaviour, it still behaves like a single
> instance app, opening an already opened document brings it to the
> front.

As far as I understand, you can achieve this with
GApplication/GtkApplication by a combination of G_APPLICATION_IS_SERVICE
and G_APPLICATION_IS_LAUNCHER in both a service and a launcher process.

Admittedly, the GApplication examples and documentation are not crystal
clear about all the possibilities it brings, so it's not a big surprise
that people are reluctant to get to know it and use it. Not
everyone wants to dig into totem or other application's code to get to
understand how things are supposed to be done.

Claudio