Re: GDBus support on Win32 + other platforms (Was Re: GtkApplication and argc/arv)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:00 AM, David Zeuthen <zeuthen gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just for the record, there's no reason that GDBus cannot be made to
> work very nicely on Win32 or any other platform we care about. GDBus
> (and D-Bus itself) was designed with this goal in mind.

what functionality is (G)D-Bus supposed to be providing on other
platforms? my impression has been that on linux it provides stuff that
both OS X and Windows already provides (plus or minus a detail or
two). if that impression is correct, why would anyone run (G)D-Bus on
those platforms? if its not correct, what is the functionality that
(G)D-Bus is offering to linux that is missing from those platforms? if
you're talking about just a portable API to interact with various
system services and notifications, then fine, but that's a bit
different than talking about D-Bus itself, i think.

just to be clear: i'm a big fan of the functionality that D-Bus  (at
least the system bus and maybe the session bus too) has made possible
on linux. i just don't understand why anyone would imagine using it on
other platforms.