Re: Updated GTK+ 2.24.5 binaries (and bundle)

Quoting "Sam Thursfield" <ssssam gmail com>:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Dieter Verfaillie
I have been dreaming of having an msys-python port though (considered by
most to be even more "exotic" than cross-compiling Python itself, I guess).
Would make jhbuild, but also other tools written in Python that need to
run at build-time like gi-scanner, much more reliable. And we'd be able
to get rid of loads of "subprocessing" workarounds/bugs...

actually not such a crack idea, there's a lot of hacks in different
apps that could go in there. But why not just put them in mainline?

If you mean getting the various workarounds into python.org's Windows
builds: Well, they'd still be workarounds. An msys-python port would
be aware of the POSIX-y environment it runs in (MSYS being based on an
old Cygwin version).

If you mean contributing patches to enable an msys-python port to
python.org: Well, I've been dreaming about it. But looking at how in
the past MinGW and MinGW cross-compiling efforts have been handled I'm
not really confident actually doing so is worth my time.

Well, I'll give Python's configure script a shot in an MSYS bash session
configured in "MSYS System Builder" mode. Maybe it'll be less work
than I imagined. Or more than I ever feared. Who knows? ;)

mvg,
Dieter