Re: Updated GTK+ 2.24.5 binaries (and bundle)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 09:34:30PM +0200, Dieter Verfaillie wrote:

> Something like that is certainly possible and I think with time is an
> obvious thing to do. Be it created with Tor's gtk-bundle script or
> repackaging the work from the Open Build Service or something else.
> Who knows...

The gnome-win32 (or whatever it ends up being called) mailing list
somebody was proposing eariler in the thread would probably speed up the
process of reaching a consensus about similar issues.

As far as I’m concerned, what I would love to have as part of the GTK+
bundle -- assuming we still want to call it GTK+ bundle: expanding it to
also include some other parts of the GNOME platform would probably make
sense -- is something similar to a simple package manager.

Application packagers should be able to integrate an arbitrary subset of
the GTK+ bundle into their application’s installer; libraries should be
installed in a globally managed location, so that three application
using GKT+ would be able to share a single copy of the library, and if
one of the three applications ships a GTK+ version that is newer than
the one used by the other two while still being compatible, the library
would be updated.

This process should be as transparent as possible, so that the user
doesn’t need to worry about it. A simple GTK+ Updater to keep libraries
up–to–date would be the icing on the cake.

Am I spoiled by the 6+ years I’ve been using Debian exclusively? Probably.
Do I think this would greatly improve the current situation with respect
to application either shipping their own version of GTK+ or requiring
users to manually install the GTK+ bundle? You bet.

> The problem is that GTK+ 3 will need some porting effort.
> It currently builds just fine but, from what I've seen, the themeing
> engine (wimp) will need to be ported to use gsettings, there's still
> work  to be done to catch up with the csw changes done in 2.18 etc.

I’ve heard about some issues with GTK+ 3 on win32 as well. While I think
it’s a bit sad that what has always been one of the best cross–platform
toolkit is currently almost exclusively focused on GNU/Linux, I realize
that the people working on this great major release only had a finite
amount of time and could only do that much.

It’s great that many people are interested in the fate of GTK+ on win32,
because it means the toolkit will get back to rocking in a cross–platform
way in no time!

> Don't worry, about 10% of the time I can invest in these things is going
> into keeping what I already have (and uses GTK+ 2.X) alive. Every other
> moment I can spare is spent getting GLib, gobject-introspection,
> pygobject an GTK+ 3 going on Windows and patches are slowly starting to
> trickle to the various bugzilla components...
>
> I'm sure others already have adopted a similar policy or will do so
> soon too...

This is just great news. Thank you for your efforts!

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>