Re: GtkApplication and argc/arv

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:48:12 +0100
Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 09:59 +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> [snip]
> > The case for having single-instance programs in most cases for
> > programs with a GUI interface seems self-evident to me, since most
> > GUI programs keep some running global state which would be extremely
> > tedious to synchronise between different processes.
> [snip]
>
> What global state, for instance?

Most programs will keep application-related data relevant to all
instances running which is not configuration data suitable for dconf nor
something for which you want to set up a formal database to deal with
change notification and resolution.

Apart from that, quite frankly it is I think what most users expect
for programs having only one main window. The principal problem at the
moment is gtk_window_present(): a user starts a program (she may have
forgotten it is already running if it is minimised or on a different
desktop) and gets presented with ... some odd blinking thing in the
panel if she is attentive enough to spot it at all.

Chris