Re: [g-a-devel] GTK and ATK

Benjamin:

Overall, I was just trying to suggest that I think we need more analysis
before making a decision.  You raise a number of important issues at the
GTK+ layer, but there are many high-level issues that also need to be
considered.  Cross-free-desktop interoperability is just an example.

Another example is that the ATK abstracts common characteristics of
widgets in a way that is useful to AT programs.  All widgets that deal
with text (labels, entry fields, combo boxes, etc.) all implement the
same AtkText interfaces, providing AT programs a common way to provide
alternative UI's for the end user.  While not trivial, adding ATK code
for a custom widget is a more reasonable approach to making a custom
widget accessible than having to update every AT program like orca to
support it.  If we did not have the ATK, the AT program suddenly needs
to know how to interact with each stock and custom widgets directly
and separately.  This adds a lot of code to the AT program, you see.