Re: GtkComboBox with a tree view

2011/10/15 Sébastien Granjoux <seb sfo free fr>:
> Could I rely on the fact that the GtkComboBox will display the items as a
> tree view? I means is it a bug if a theme doesn't do it correctly or it is
> rather just an hint. Does it makes sense to add a function to easily set
> this?

You should not rely on that.  It is up to theme to pick either the
tree view or the menu mode.  This feature was really added for
platform styling/integration. Back when this was being designed, the
reasoning was that a picker popup looks like a menu on UNIX and like a
list on Windows, etc.

> Is it useful that I spend time on GtkComboBox code trying to make it faster?
> As the GtkTreeView is much faster, I suppose we can reach the same
> performance with the GtkComboBox. Or do we consider that the GtkComboBox is
> designed to handle only a small number of items? As the list contains a lots

IMHO GtkComboBox has not been designed to handle thousands of items,
the UI is also not up to that. Given that you are going to need a
search feature is likely another indicator that the combo box UI will
not solve your problem.

regards,

-kris.