Re: GLib plans for next cycle

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:16 -0600, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> Another option is to use library load constructors to run the
> initialisation we need to do.  That's certainly possible on Windows
> systems and anything using GCC.  I'm not sure if it's possible to do it
> in a portable way from pure C, though.

In my research for how to implement a resource system for glib I've been
looking at this. I think its should be possible to do this for all the
main platforms we're targeting (linux, elf unixes, win32, osx). There
might be some ancient proprietary unix where it will not work (but
probably not as this is a C++ requirement too).

So, while the code would be kinda hacky to make this work with all weird
setups required (like pragmas, ick) it should be quite possible to rely
on.

I have some notes somewhere on how it can be done for all platforms.
Will write it up some day.