Re: moderation discussion

On 9 September 2011 16:03, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 01:19:45PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> >
>> > Shawn kicked himself off.
>>
>> If you are so concerned about politeness and non-controversy of this
>> list then kick Emmanuele too. Or are only members of Gnome foundation
>> board allowed to be rude on this list? :p
>
> I don't really care about politeness or non-controversy. I more follow
> the ideas of https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct.

..

> Regarding code of conduct:
> I think it is unavoidable to have an "not so nice" email every once in a
> while. Perhaps from someone well-known, perhaps from someone unknown.
> What I find more important is not that one email, but the reaction to
> that email. A general attitude to still be respectful and if you notice
> some unacceptable behaviour, try to go for a solution which dampens it
> instead of further aggravating (sending private emails, saying you're
> getting the impression it seems to get personal, etc).
> Give some ability for the other person to say "oh, I didn't mean it" /
> "sorry".

I  think exactly the part stated in the last sentence of the above is
not preserved when somebody is kicked off the list when posting
(first!) heated reply to a heated discussision which is something that
is to be somewhat expected from time to time.

..
> In this specific case:
> I noticed Emanuelle apologized for the tone being interpreted as
> attacking by the time I read the thread, so I consider it over. Didn't\

Still he did not really tone down his emails so he did not do much
better than the person who was banned.

> see the same for the other email, and didn't recognize the name at all,
> high chance for things getting out of hand.

He started the email with an apology which might be about as serious
as Emmanuelle's given the tone of both emails.

I don't see banning as an effective way if dealing with issues. People
who mean ill will just re-subscribe under a different address, people
who really don't will go away but that's usually not what you really
want.

I am subscribed to quite a few mailing list and this is the first time
I saw such heavy-handed approach but it's your list and you are free
to manage it as you see fit.

Thanks

Michal