Re: Geometry Management

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Matthew Bucknall
<matthew bucknall googlemail com> wrote:

> What I'm not clear on is the meaning of the 'natural' arguments in
> calls to gtk_widget_get_preferred_height () and
> gtk_widget_get_preferred_width ().
>
> Are the natural sizes just some sort hint to containers which may
> result in more aesthetically pleasing layouts than just going by the
> minimum sizes alone?

i think its the corollary to the other two questions:

   1) if there was no restriction on height or width, how wide would you be?
   2) if there was no restriction on height or width, how high would you be?

and yes, they act as hints of varying levels of "power" to a
container. some containers may completely ignore the answers, or
completely ignore some subset of the answers, or work very hard to
find an optimal layout.