Re: RFC: new features

On 01/14/2012 12:53 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 01/13/2012 12:52 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
>> TIP-DIALOG
>> I've seen several implementations in aps (e.g. gimp has one). I did one
>> for buzztard. It shows a random message from the tips list.
> I don't know of anyone who actually finds such a dialog useful to be
> honest.  Many users I know sigh when they see that dialog when running
> an app for the first time, check "never show this again" and get their
> work done.  In my opinion (only worth half a penny) such a feature is a
> waste of code in an app, and probably not worth the effort to implement
> in GTK.
I agree that showing the tips as a startup dialog is somewhat annoying.
On the other hand it would be useful to have a way to tell users about
neat tricks and stuff and is not totally obvious. Sure, all of this can
be documented in the manual, but apparently those are read even less
often. Not sure if info bars that auto-hide after a while are better ...

Stefan