Re: I want to fix a bug in GTK and need some guidance

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:30,  <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Noam,
>
> On 24 January 2012 10:12, Noam Yorav-Raphael <noamraph gmail com> wrote:
>> Can someone guide me on how to compile GTK with debugging enabled, and
>> how to compile a C program that would use the GTK I compiled, so I can
>> run it under gdb and try to fix the bug?
>
> It's pretty easy. Download the gtk sources, untar, and compile to a
> local prefix. Something like:
>
> tar xf gtk+-x.x.x
> cd gtk+-x.x.x
> CFLAGS=-g ./configure --prefix=/home/noam/mygtk
>
> You'll need to have the -dev packages for the gtk stack installed so
> that all the headers for all the prerequisites are available, but you
> probably have those already. Once it configures cleanly try:
>
> make
> make install
>
> Now get your build environment to see your new gtk before the system
> one. You need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to
> /home/noam/mygtk/lib/pkg-config.
>
> Finally, compile your test program and it'll see your private gtk
>
> gcc -g test.c `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags --libs`
>
> You can run into trouble if the gtk you build needs a more recent
> cairo / glib / pango / whatever than you have on your system. You'll
> find yourself installing more and yet more libraries to get a working
> gtk stack and then maintaining that pyramid of hand-built packages
> becomes a terrible pain.
>
> Use jhbuild to fix this. It's a Python program which will download,
> configure and install the entire gtk stack from git for you to a
> private prefix, and keep everything updated for you as well.
>
> https://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild
>
> It does take a little fiddling to get it working but it's probably
> worth it if you want to build the very latest code. Plus since
> everything is in git it'll format any bug fixes you make nicely ready
> to be passed upstream.

I would suggest git over tarballs because when you submit patches you
want to target the top of a branch, not a random past release. JHBuild
will do that for you.

Also, this may help: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove/SubmittingPatches

Regards,

Tomeu