Re: Fully winding down my involvement in GTK+

On 07/19/2012 06:54 AM, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> Also, I struggle to identify with the community these days -- that
> is, I do not agree how GTK+ is being developed. Discussions appear to
> mainly happen on IRC, which I can impossibly follow, contrary to on
> the mailing list;

Now that you mention this, I have noticed practically no traffic on any
of the devel lists in the last few years.  I am probably not alone in
thinking GTK development had stalled (though GTK 3 is obvious evidence
to the contrary!).  Does not give a good message to potential GTK users
who want to check things out.  The non-devel lists do have a fair amount
of traffic, but it is now somewhat rare to have core GTK developers
participate like they used to in the old days.

I agree heartily that the mailing list is a much better place for
tracking development.  IRC is too instantaneous (time zones preclude
participation often), and IRC logs are extremely tedious and difficult
to follow as they lack the structure that e-mail has.

As a lurker who would like to follow gtk development, if the developers
would return to the list I think it would be of great benefit to
potential contributors like me (though maybe the potential is too small
to even consider).  Certainly as long as GTK development discussions
primarily take place on IRC I will be unable to follow and even consider
contributing in any way, even a tiny way.