Re: gdk threads ...

Heya,

On Mon 05 Mar 2012 14:07, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> writes:

> On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 12:11 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
>> 	Does that mean you're removing gdk_threads_enter and leave and the
>> semantics around that ? is there some cunning new scheme proposed to
>> intercept the mainloop and ensure that events / idle / timeout emissions
>> hooked in by the toolkit can have applications add lock/unlock pairs ?
>
> We're not removing -- only deprecating.
>
> The removal will come in GTK4.  There will be no replacement
> functionality -- you will just be expected to do all your interaction
> with the toolkit from the main thread (ie: dispatching results via
> idles).

You're sure this is a good idea?

I really liked Java-GNOME's approach to the issue:

  http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/java-gnome/thread-safety-for-java

Would this mode of interaction with GTK+ not be supported in the future?

I think I missed the original mail :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/