Re: gdk threads ...

hi,

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 14:58 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Ryan: when you say "the main thread" - what does that mean ? does it
> mean from "a single thread" - as in we need to guarentee that the calls
> are only ever actually happening from a single thread at a time ? or
> does it mean that you will get/check/assert/behave-differently if code
> is executed if pthread_self() doesn't match[1] some magic,
> pre-initialized variant ?

To point at something concrete: attempting to use GTK on Windows from
something other than the main thread will result in bad behaviour (even
if you're holding the GDK lock) because Windows doesn't like you
interacting with a window from a thread that is not the one that created
it.

> 	My question would be though - what is the benefit here ?

See above.

Cheers