Re: gdk threads ...

Hi Stef,

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 12:19 +0200, Stef Walter wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 04:18 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> > >            That claim sounds really strange; since - well - we do that in
> > >     LibreOffice ourselves :-)
> Michael, it may just happen that the GTK calls you've seen being
> performed from arbitrary threads in LibreOffice don't result in Win32

	Wait - we're not using gtk+ on windows :-) we are using our own native
VCL toolkit. I'm well aware of the windows constrains on message
handling, and thread affinity of some subset of the API.

> Even if you get the locking "right" -- even if absolutely only one
> thread is executing at once in your process -- like Paul said, you still
> get behavior that at a minimum freezes your window, and in other cases
> can act a lot like memory corruption.

	Sure I can believe gtk+ is broken currently in this regard. However my
contention is that this is not an inevitable problem for gtk+ caused by
the windows API. It is -possible- to get the gtk+ model to work, well,
on windows. VCL does it today with a very similar locking model to the
one gtk+ has used (again without using gtk+). I would also point out
that VCL is not a top-flight, well-maintained, documented, high-quality
toolkit with dozens of people working on it either ;-)

	So the "it is fundamentally impossible to do" argument seems just a bit
weak from my perspective, I read it as "it is easier not to do, and it's
better to make our API users do the work instead" ;-) which is rather
different.

	ATB,

		Michael.

--
michael meeks suse com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot