Guidelines for stable branch changes in GLib/Gtk

hi,

It seems to me that we've been playing a little bit fast and loose with what goes into stable branches of GLib (and particularly) Gtk+ of late.

From my point of view I think the only thing suitable for a stable branch is a bug fix. New features are completely out of the question and new API as well.

"Deep" bug fixes (eg: requiring substantial changes to the iconview in order to workaround difficult issues) are probably also best avoided but it's more difficult to draw a firm line here.

Those are my views.

I'm not presupposing to enforce my views about what is appropriate in a stable series, but I think we should have a discussion about it and come up with an answer. Then we should stick to it.

Cheers