Re: Partial frame synchronization TODO

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 08:18 -0400, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > ? Implement paint throttling for the Broadway backend.
> >   (I'm not sure what this means exactly - the default
> >   throttling to 60fps may be OK.)
>
> Not sure what the best thing is here. If you have a low
> bandwidth connection then you would like to do a roundtrip
> to the client before sending the next frame to avoid just
> filling up the pipe with frames and then blocking on socket
> write.
>
> However, if you have a high bandwidth but high latency link
> then you could theoretically keep sending new frames and they
> would display fine on the client, although somewhat delayed.
> Doing the roundtrip in this case would just unnecessary skip
> frames in the animation.

The client asynchronously acks the frames it receives, GTK+
uses those acks to estimate the latency and bandwidth of the connection,
you keep track of how full the link is, and at the point of saturation,
you avoid processing a new frame until there is room in the link for the
new frame.

Trivial! Could not possibly go wrong! ;-)

- Owen